NG9-1-1 Business Needs Assessment
The Camrose Police Service faced several obstacles in preparation for the national transition to NG9-1-1. Resources were overtasked and funding was inadequate. Back up infrastructure was limited and out of date, and the 9-1-1 call handling system was not compatible with requirements for the Canadian NG9-1-1 environment.
BH Group Inc. was hired to assess the operating and technical environments including:
- Emergency communications systems & services (9-1-1 call handling, CAD, internal & external RMS, logging, and external interfaces)
- Human Resources (Staffing, training, and certifications)
- Network design & security.
A report was developed outlining the current operational status with gap analysis, and recommendations. Operational alternatives were provided with budgetary figures. An action plan with task list for improving performance and interoperability was also provided. The report also included budgetary funding requirements for capital and ongoing operating costs.
Study recommendations included:
- Options for restructuring the 9-1-1 service delivery model to gain efficiencies and improve service levels
- Requirements for a resilient, reliable, and robust technical infrastructure
- Skills and personnel development requirements
- Network design options to build a secure emergency communications LAN.